Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

BUNCO

Many years ago, my friend Linda, invited me to play Bunco as a sub. Bunco? Had no clue other than my Grandma Kitty had mentioned playing back in the 50's with a group of her girlfriends and had a blast.  I called Grandma, and she said, "GO! You will have fun! Then call me and tell me what you thought!"
So I went.
I had a blast. I knew several of the ladies, but not all, however, I left knowing I now had new friends. Soon after, that friend called to tell me that they had a permanent opening. Everyone liked me and thought I was a good fit, would I be interested in committing to once a month playing and hosting one of those parties. SURE! Oh my gosh! I looked forward to every party. We played, we chatted, we shared, we laughed, and we cried. It was a wonderful gathering and sharing and I am so grateful that I was a part of this group.

Eventually, I started a new group with some of the Moms from my girls school. We too had a wonderful group and I had a wonderful time with these women.
It was my once a month Girls Night Out. I particularly loved hosting the parties.

Unfortunately, when I started selling Real Estate, I found I needed to get a sub too often, and felt with the new career, something had to give. I stepped out of my Bunco Group. (I should have hung on!)

It's been more than ten years since playing. I miss it so. I miss the sisterhood. I miss having a Girls Night Out. It was fun and I laughed a lot.

Last year, I contacted a couple of gals that I played with that I knew also had stepped out over the years. We started making plans to get a new group together. Somehow, that fell through. I have mentioned to friends and they usually sound interested, but we haven't done anything about getting a group started.

I need to get busy, and get one started. I am gonna do it! I am going to try to bring 12 women together that can commit to once a month, Girls Night Out, of playing, chatting, laughing, and crying together.

Have you played? Have you heard of it? Read on if you want more info. Maybe you can start a group in your corner of the Blogworld. All you just need nine dice and a handful of luck. Grab your friends - this game usually consists of three sets of four players.

Bunco is popular particularly among middle-aged housewives As it is played today, Bunco is a social dice game involving 100% luck and no skill (there are no decisions to be made), scoring and a simple set of rules. Women who are part of a Bunco club take turns as the Bunco hostess, providing snacks, refreshments and the tables to set up the games. The hostess may also provide a door prize. Small amounts of money can be involved as well. The object of the game is to accumulate points and to roll certain combinations. The winners get prizes (provided by the hostess or pooled from the club resources) for accomplishments such as the highest score, the lowest score, or the most buncos. 

 Bunco was originally "8-Dice cloth", a dice game in 18th-century England. It was imported to San Francisco as a gambling activity in 1855, where it gave its name to gambling parlors or Bunco parlors, and more generally to any swindle. After the Civil War the game evolved to a popular parlor game. During the 1920s and Prohibition, Bunco was re-popularized as a gambling game, often associated with a speakeasy. Law-enforcement groups raiding these parlors came to be known as "Bunco squads". Bunco as a family game saw a resurgence in popularity in the 1980s.

12 comments:

Bee Lady said...

Hey Janis -check out this post on my blog.

http://thebeeladyfromhilltopfarm.blogspot.com/2010/12/christmas-day.html

If that doesn't work, it's just called Christmas Day.

About half way down, or further, is my sister trying to teach us how to play Bunco on Christmas Day. She doesn't live far from your area. Do you know her? She gets together with a group of women that play once a month.

Also, about the Pay it Forward post - just now catching up....but so sorry, I don't really want to commit to anything extra right now. I saw that on Pammy Sue's blog too, and it'd probably be fun. But I'm in a stitchery group that we make stuff for, and I'm wanting to do some things for myself, and we are going to be moving in a few months....We're building a house and as soon as it warms up a bit, I'm going to be way too busy. We are actually building it from this point on. Anyway, just wanted to let you know so you wouldn't think I was a total loser!

Cindy

Carolynn Anctil said...

Never heard of it, but it sounds like fun.

Still haven't had time to get those snazzy sparkles set up over at my place. Love them. It's like having a magic wand. *grin*

Julie Harward said...

There are a few groups here that do that, I have been invited a few times but have not been able to do it..sounds fun though! :D

Linda said...

Hi Janis,
No, I've never played but I really don't like games and I like my evenings as they are - quiet and to ourselves.
But..... having shared that, I will say that I have lovely memories of Bunco. You see, the Mom of my boyfriend of over 10 years, whom I dated from age 16 to my late 20's, had a Bunco group. Her name was Mary, and she was the most wonderful lady - it's part of the reason I stayed in a bad relationship for so long, because I LOVED his Mom and his Italian family. So many good times at that house. Anyway - She and her group got together once a week for their Bunco night and I remember everyone coming over and having a great time. So.... for that reason, just the mention of "Bunco" makes me smile. ☺

Thanks for another great post.
Love, Linda

janis said...

Linda~ once a week? Oh my! I loved going monthly but weekly?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bridgette said...

I use to play Bunco a few years ago. It is SO much fun! Let me know when you get everyone together and I will fly in and join ya. HA HA Lova ya!

Reya Mellicker said...

I have friends who play Bunco on a regular basis. They tell me it's a great excuse to get together. Maybe sometime I'll give it a whirl.

Rosaria Williams said...

Bunco ah? I will keep this in mind, for when I want to spice up my life.

An English Shepherd said...

Sounds interesting :-)

Don't think we have Bunco over here!

Wizz :-)

Tina said...

I love Bunco! Several friends and I have been trying to get a group together and play but everyone is so busy it's hard to commit.