Search This Blog

Thursday, September 9, 2010

the red thread... a novel



Instead of giving you a recommendation for a good read, I am going to give you a recommendation for an audio book that I just finished.
THE RED THREAD, a novel by Ann Hood. It was marvelous, not only thought provocative , but got me googling for more information on the subject matter.
I don't know what it was about this audio book that made me pick it up. I had never heard of it. Not aware of the "red thread theory", nor had I ever heard or read anything from Ann Hood. To be honest, I didn't know what I was picking up. The jacket said briefly it was a novel about a woman that opened an adoption agency in the wake of losing her daughter.
I got much more.
It is a wonderful journey.
About the conception of little girls born in China, the story of their mothers, and the story of their adopted parents. It is about 31 people and how their lives intertwine.
It is beautifully written (and luckily read by a very good reader Hillary Huber). The author takes you back and forth through the eyes of the biological parents and the adoptive parents. It educates you about the Chinese superstitions, the laws, and the culture of the Chinese.
The Red Thread Proverb~ Is how we are connected by a red thread. That this thread connects us by destiny, from birth to death, the connects of people in your life. That the thread may stretch or tangle, but will never break.
I became not only deep into the novel, but thirst for knowledge and understanding to these customs I did not know existed. I did know little, but found myself very uneducated. I learned so much more because of the interest this novel gave me. I found myself bewilder in discovering how girls are portrayed in China. I was not aware that this way of life continued today.
It makes me want to pray for them. It makes me want to adopt. It makes me want to educate.
Tiny steps, like a baby.
Please read, listen or google more about this!

No comments: