Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Amazing Grace



Lucious Newson passed away August 18th. He was 93 years young. Although I never officially meet him, I heard him speak, I participated in his quest and I shook his hand while thanking him for all he does.

I admired him and looked up to him more than anyone I have ever met or knew of. This was the most selfless loving man that made his life mission in helping others. He became my hero.

A few years ago, we visited Nativity Catholic Church. There this old black man with bib overalls, kindof stuck out among the other members. There was something about him that mesmerized me. He was so full of faith. He was almost glowing. He was introduced by the priest at the end of the sermon. Lucious wanted to show his appreciate for the Church’s help in feeding the poor. He sang “Amazing Grace”. I have heard this song a million times, but never as beautifully as this old man sang it. He sang acappella, no music other than his voice. I cried.

Lucious had made it his mission to feed the poor. He was known as “the Lord’s beggar for the poor”. He helped establish “Anna’s House”, a clinic & learning center that offers food, dental care, medical help & services for people in need.

For the past twenty years he has been assisting Indianapolis’ poor, feeding them and teaching those of us more fortunate how to treat the poor. His heart was very big. He was the most generous of all. Lucious had said, “I go to bed so thankful that God gave me this job. I’m just thankful I can serve Him, & that He can use an old guy like me. I live by faith. I’m going to keep doing this until God calls me to heaven.”

He was truly a wonderful Christian man. His work will continue through the lives he touched.

No comments: