Search This Blog

Monday, June 1, 2009

...and The Beat Goes On


The beat goes on, the beat goes on
Drums keep pounding
A rhythm to the brain
La de da de da, la de da de da.




One of my major stress' is our economic situation particularly the GM Bankruptcy Issue. For those of you that know me, understand this well. My husbands first love is the

United Auto Workers



I chose to gladly share him. I knew early on that this was very important to him. Luckily I agreed much with the UAW way of life prior to being involved with it. I had the opportunity to really see what was in store for me when Sergio and I dated. I listened well to the few wives that remained with their Union men that were rarely home, ridden with overworking, over-stressing, and the temper and sense of "fight" that these men live and breathe.

Sergio is a fighter. Ask anyone. The Brothers in his union know he has their back. He will help, he will listen, he will fight for what is fair. He will make sure that workers are treated fair and that they will be respected. He is one of the smartest men I know. He is also the hardest working man I know.

These past couple of years, particularly the past few weeks, I have feared mostly for him. Fear of a heart attack. This man is carrying the world on his shoulders. You may think I am exaggerating, after all he is an International United Auto Workers Region 3 Representitive, not Ron Gettelfinger, President of UAW. But, as Mr Gettelfinger would tell you, Sergio is the UAW. It is men like him that make it run smooth. This financial crisis has been coming for some time, due mostly in part because of the government decisions (Unfair trade agreements, failure to enact national health care and deregulation of financial market, for example).
However~
As President Obama discussed in his speech today, "things will get better. We will make the necessary sacrifices so that our children will once again have a nation to be proud of".
My struggles, along with my family and UAW friends, will continue. I understand that it will get worse for some of us before it can get better. I will do my best to keep my chin up, have faith and sing the Ant Song when necessary. I will not let it get the best of me.

I must let the beat go on.


6 comments:

Linda said...

Thank you for your personal insight on this - this was an interesting blog entry. I pray for you, your husband and all to be affected by this.

Rosaria Williams said...

This must be tough for you guys.

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking of you a lot girlie. I wish there was a way to not have to go through this valley.
You've got grit...hang tough.
xo
love you bunches
mary d

Lori ann said...

Hi Janis, my hopes and prayers are with you. Everything will be ok. I just know it.
xoxoxo

Reya Mellicker said...

Ordinarily the first thing I do when I go to a site that has a music widget is turn off the music. (It bogs down my old computer and usually distracts me).

But today I turned up the volume and listened to the whole song. I found it funny (because it's Sonny and Cher, for heaven's sake) and encouraging because you're (they're) right. The beat does go on.

Strength to you and your friends and your husband. The beat goes on.

Anonymous said...

you are totally slacking on your blog! its something i distract myself with!