Search This Blog

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Articulate

I always wanted to be able to pronounce correctly and to have proper English. I never took Etymology, although I wanted too (so I made my daughters).

I had a speech impediment as a child and took 8 years of corrective speech classes. They wanted me to continue in high school, but I had had enough. I refused. I felt like if they could not perfect me in 8 years, another 4 probably wouldn't do it.

I did correct much of the defects but continue to lisp. Worse than the lisp is not being able to say words correctly. It is the most frustrating thing. I say them right in my head, they just do not come out right. Don't ask me to say "millennium". You will laugh. I also feel my vocabulary is limited as I can not retain new words and their meanings. So frustrating when you are trying to have an intelligent conversation.

It is funny, my best friends have mastered language skills and I love hearing them talk. Sometimes I wont know a word, but will always ask. Sheri says at least I want to get it right and always appreciate a correction (but only from Deb & Sher).

I find that I get frustrated and want to correct others too. Isn't that awful? I can't master it myself but am the first to notice when people use the wrong word or mispronounce.

I work with a woman that butchers the English Language every day. She drives me nuts. I can't imagine how she got into her position as she talks to customers all day long. I cringe as I here her talk. She uses "aint","uhm", "don't", and "naw" all the time. I can't tell you how many times I hear sentences like, "uhm, well lady, you gots that wrong cuz we aint got nos invoice with that number".
She also has some lovely manners and belches several times a day. She does say "excuse me" or "whoa" if she is on the phone.

You would think that people that work in customer service would have to have strong communication skills. Maybe I could have applied for jobs I didn't think I qualified for.

I am often impressed with people that do crossword puzzles, word games and yes, enjoy reading the dictionary. Why can't my brain handle that? I want it, just can't seem to absorb it.

1 comment:

Sheri Riley said...

You are being way too hard on yourself!