Search This Blog

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Loving A Manic Depressive

Manic Depressive: affected by or relating to a mental disorder with alternating periods of elation and depression.


When you love someone that is a manic depressed person your world gets turned upside down, and inside out. Emotions get raw and nerves exposed. Things can be wonderful one minute and a nightmare the next. You can feel loved and hated at the same time.

I have lived with this my entire life. One of the most important persons in my life suffers from this disorder. It is up and down all the time. You never know what to expect.

I have grown up admiring her, amazed by her and loving her with all my heart.

I have also had moments of pain, sorrow and guilt beyond belief.

She has the gift of being superwoman. She can be giving, sensitive and the kindest of all.

But she can also misinterpreted things resulting in saying things that I am sure she would never if she just thought about the consequence. As well as turning things around and into unnecessary crisis.

She means well. But she flourishes on crisis' and situations that she can "rescue" or control.

Many would think the best way to handle these kind of people is to remove them from your lives. Keep a safe distance. And keep the drama at bay.

Easier said than done. Especially when you love the person.

I know she doesn't mean the hurtful things. I know she doesn't mean to make me feel responsible for her pain. I know that she loves me and would never hurt me on purpose.

I also know that I can not make her well. I can't make her take her medicine. I can not make her calm down and be rational.

I can only love her.

1 comment:

Sheri Riley said...

You do the best you can do. And then you take that spine of steel and use it for what is best for you.