Search This Blog

Monday, May 30, 2011

Thank You To Our Service Men & Women


This is a re-post from a couple years ago.
I just want to say thank you to all the Service men & women
and their wonderful families for sharing them.
Thank you & God Bless.

On Friday a group of us went to lunch on the circle. There were hundreds of service men & women gathered for a parade and celebration. I felt a certain joy in my heart. I wanted to say thank you to each one of them. AJ, whom I work with is enlisted in the Air Force and will head off to basic training soon. I asked him if that was weird. He said, no, I think that is fine. I think we do not thank them enough.

My father, Thomas Meyer, was enlisted in the Navy. He served four years. He left in 1955 before graduating high school. He traveled the world. He met my Mom while stationed in San Antonio, Texas.


My Grandfather, Edward Wright, served our country with the Navy, during World War II. I can't imagine what he went through, or my Grandmother & Mother, worrying about him. Our technology was so different, can you imagine not hearing anything for months? The fear of has he been killed or became a prisoner of war? We were lucky. He came home safe and sound.

My Uncle Dave was in the Navy during the 70's.
My Grand-Grandfather Marquis Peters served World World I.
I know I have countless other relatives that served as well.
Sergio's brother, Homere, served the Marines, during the Vietnam War. Then re listed in the Army and served our country for an additional 21 years. He was a drill Sargent that prepared our military for service.


My daughters have friends today that enlist, and serve our country. Emily's High School sweetheart, Eddie Waltrop, has been a Marine for 4 years. He has volunteered to go overseas and to continue this fight for freedom. I worry about him. I pray for him.

I am very thankful of what these brave service men and women are doing for us and our country. Regardless to your views on the current war issues, because these brave souls enlist, we do not have to have a draft. I don't want anyone fighting for me that doesn't want or believe in it. I feel these Service men & women don't get enough recognition and I think we need to thank them more.

SO, join me in thanking them, praying for them and embracing them.

6 comments:

Rosaria Williams said...

Janis, great sentiment and most appropriate on such a day. Thanks.

An English Shepherd said...

Lovely post & thanks for sharing it with us.

Wizz :-)

Linda said...

This is a beautiful tribute post and I loved the photos as well.

Blessings to you always,
Linda

Dani said...

Thank you for this! Your thoughts echo my sentiments exactly. This resonates with me for personal reasons.

Bee Lady said...

Just getting caught up on some blog reading. Great post about the military men and women. We've been watching a few of the civil war specials on the history channel and I don't think people realize how brave a person must be to go off to war. God bless them.

Cindy Bee

bj said...

What a wonderful tribute to your men of war. Loved reading about them all.
I,too, had a lot of family fighting at different time, for our freedom.
xoxo bj