Search This Blog

Thursday, February 12, 2009

A Much Needed New Word


During my girls weekend, my dear friend, Lynn, on more than one occasion, told me to "Chillax". Apparently, I worry too much and ponder things too hard. I forget to remember what ever will be will be.
Guilty.
She, as well as Deb and Sheri, have always had a vast vocabulary that I have always been jealous of. Together they took Etymology while I took an Art class. They were Advance English, I went for the easy Basic English classes. They were pushed and relished learning. I was told take the easy so you will get the high grades. Hmm. Do you wonder why I pushed my girls? I made them take Etymology.
Today, I love learning new words! I love knowing them and using them. I keep my Handy Dictionary by my side and open in several times through the day. I couldn't get through a blog posting without it. I use my spell check, but trust my dictionary more. When I read something or hear something that I do not know the meaning I look it up. I think that I have trained the girls, and even Sergio, that the dictionary is your best friend in English.
As for the word "Chillax". It may not be found in my trusty dictionary, but I know what it means. It is okay to make up words in my world. When I start to stress out and freak out, I hear Lynn tell me,
Chillax Man, you need to just Chillax!

7 comments:

Rosaria Williams said...

Have you noticed that people can only take in so much of other people's stories and hardships. I learned that the hard way, too. There is an overwhelming rush of sympathy at the beginning, then it stops. People can only take in a small amount of bad news. But, give them gossip, or action adventure, or titillating mysteries, and they can't get enough of it.

They will learn when they have those experiences.

They're still good friends, just inexperienced.

Linda said...

A good reminder and I also enjoyed Lakeviewer's comment. So true.

chimitacin said...

It is funny we NEVER see ourselves as others see us.
I have caught myself many days thinking of you and wishing I was more like you. FUN, funny, smart,brave, courageious, unafraid to live life with gusto. Living Life...good, bad and ugly you face it all head on...you may want to run and hide but, you don't. Admirable.
I can't find the spell check on this, I think I'll go blow the dust off my dictionary and be like you...embracing learning..through books, and daily life.

janis said...

Hmmm, I hope I didn't make this sound as if my girlfriend was complaining to me.
Far from it.
She has experienced more in life than I could ever imagine. She has had more hardship than anyone I know. It is from her experience that she has learned and is passing on to me that you should take things with a grain of salt, that if I relax and chill out I will regain my control of a situation.
She is a good listener & would only stop me when I am too hard on myself.
So, inexperienced ? nah.
Tired of listening to me? not at all.
They ( the Besties)could not be more supportive!
They just want me to be less hard on myself.
Also, to Chimitacin, thank you so much! What a compliment. You have given me validation for writing my feelings.
ps~ Get the dust off your Dictionary! It is an adventurous tool worthy of exploration!

Reya Mellicker said...

Chillax? Never heard it before today, thank you!

And thanks for the name of your blog. Every time I see it, I remember to breathe.

Ahhhh!!

Tess Kincaid said...

I love new words and the roots of their meanings, too.

I enjoyed the comment you left on my genealogy post and got a chuckle from the story about your grandfather's line!

My daughter did her undergrad at IU, so we did lots of driving around Indy on 465 on our way down to Bloomington.

Mark Pressley said...

Thought after your last Blog you might want a laugh, so hear are some Mark words:


Cashtration (n.): The act of buying a house, which renders the subject financially impotent for an indefinite period of time.

Intaxication: Euphoria at getting a tax refund, which lasts until you realize it was your money to start with.

Reintarnation: Coming back to life as a hillbilly.

Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stop bright ideas from penetrating.

Giraffiti: Vandalism spray-painted very, very high

Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Inoculatte: To take coffee intravenously when you are running late.

Karmageddon: its like, when everybody is sending off all these really bad vibes, right? And then, like, the Earth explodes and it's like, a serious bummer.

Decafalon (n.): The grueling event of getting through the day consuming only things that is good for you.

Arachnoleptic Fit (n.): The frantic dance performed just after you've accidentally walked through a spider web.

Beelzebug (n.): Satan in the form of a mosquito, that gets into your bedroom at three in the morning and cannot be cast out.